Tuesday, July 5, 2011

addiction-disease or not

Written in response to a person who can't understand addiction as a disease:
I don't believe the alcoholic chooses to be an alcoholic..yes they choose to pick up the first drink; but they do NOT choose what that drink does to them. They do not choose to become dependant upon the drink, but it happens.

I didn't choose to become dependant upon nicotine...but from the first cigarrette I smoked, I was and I smoked for over 40 years before I finally stopped. I tried countless times, many ways, and various aids to stop smoking--but the overwhelming desire to smoke always won over my common sense, my desire to not kill myself, my wish to not stink of smoke all the time. It was only when I almost died from pneumonia and COPD complications along with other lung issues did I quit. Still today, 9 months later, there are moments when mentally I think about smoking. I don't physically crave a cigarrette, but mentally I think about smoking.

Addiction, be it drink, drugs, cigs, food, shopping, gambling..what ever the addiction is not just a physical craving; it's a mental and spiritual/emotional disorder. It isn't something that strength alone can conquer. If it were there would be many who would help themselves. I have heard it explained as a dis-ease; IOW, the addicted person is not at ease with their self, therefore they drink or use.

I used to feel the same way you do about addiction as a disease; until I seriously began to battle the smoking addiction. There is truly a bottom one must reach before finding the means to quit whatever their addiction might be. I will be honest with you--if I could still breathe and smoke, I would still be smoking, and I consider myself to be a very strong individual. Today, I am glad I no long smoke, but without my bottom, without my health issues, without my program I would not be smoke free these 9 months.

Google it; even the medical profession consider it a disease. Fight against it all you want; use it as a reason to not focus on yourself; blame the person for having this addiction, see them as weak for not being able to control their drinking,....you are the only person you are hurting.

No comments: