Saturday, August 1, 2009

Stoves and Poinsettias

A church friend is selling a brand new stove, a Whirlpool, never been used, she paid 600.00 for it and she’s selling it for 200.00. I’m buying it because ours has been a pain in the butt ever since we got it. Terry was ready to go get that stove this morning, but I told him they were busy with a yard sale and it could wait. I knew it probably wouldn't be a problem, but I also knew if he went and got it, the poinsettias wouldn't get planted and that needed doing first.

He filled the rest of the pots, I watered most all the fern house before he was done, then he helped finish it. We planted the babies. Planting poinsettias is more than just filling pots and sticking them in the dirt. The bottom larger leaves have to pinched off because that is where white fly larvae live, and just to add another layer to white fly prevention, you pinch those off and discard them. Then we plant, then we put a tsp of slow release fertilizer, then sprinkle them with disyston, which helps prevent whiteflies. Later on, around Nov, I'll give them a 1/2 tsp of marathon which should finish them off white fly free. My index finger is sore from pinching leaves, until finally I thought to grab my scissors and cut them off. *duh*

Then we ate lunch and watered the plantation. We had some time after watering so I started cleaning up on the outside by the fern house. I call it the west side because it's the west side of the biz. Then the weather got bad so I came home.

I've sat on my hiney and done nothing since then. I need to be working on the website, putting up the fall bedding, but I can't with the girls here interrupting me.

No comments: