Saturday, August 29, 2009

Right or wrong or is there a right or wrong

Ana is almost 11, so she's probably entering pre-puberty. So are all her friends. She's been sick most of the week with a sinus infection but has gone to school anyway.

Yesterday evening after school her 'best' friend Cheyenne called to ask/tell her that her other friend, Bridget was mad at her because another girl, Tori, had told Bridget that Ana had called Bridget an idiot. Ana told Cheyenne she didn't say that. After they hung up Ana explained to us that Tori had always treated her this way, and that Tori said come Monday she would twist Ana's head off.

It wasn't but a few minutes that Bridget called. Bridget was accusing Ana of calling her an idiot and I heard Ana re-affirm that she didn't say such a thing, then she started crying.

At that point I took the phone from Ana and said to Bridget: Bridget, Ana is sick. She says she didn't call you an idiot and I believe her. I'd appreciate it if you would not call and upset her since she is sick. If you are truly Ana's friend you will not believe what other people tell you.

I said all this very nicely. Bridget hung up and so did I.

Now I wonder if I should have let Ana handle that herself or did my setting the example of not accepting unacceptable behavior was the right thing to do. They are all still children and need to learn to do these things themselves. But since they are children, I feel sometimes they need some adult intervention.

Add to that the fact that I, myself, wasn't up for yet another upsetting situation at the time. I was still processing the info on Shandi, worrying about Ana not getting any better, and worrying about my step-grandson, Garrett who was picked up from school running high fever and he just finished up a run of antibiotic.

So weigh in ladies--help me out here because this isn't the first time this little girl has called repeatedly and upset Ana. It is the first time I have intervened and took care of the situation.

No comments: