Friday, August 28, 2009

acid reflux and migraines

I guess I've been processing the latest news on Shan. It just blew me away when he said what he did.

We took her because she's complained frequently about her stomach feeling like she was going to throw up and burping and it burning her throat. Sounded like acid reflux to me and since she takes the ADHD meds, I wasn't sure exactly what would work well with that medication.

She wasn't in a good mood this evening, she's felt bad all week. There was nothing specific, just not feeling well most days. I feel some of it is pressure from school.
He asked her what was wrong and she said she didn't feel good. When he wanted to know where she felt bad, she said her head hurt.

He then asked if it hurt often and I told him that out of 7 days, there probably aren't 2 days she doesn't complain with headache. What did I do for them? I give her Ibuprofen and let her lay down if possible. I explained that last year at school the teachers said she always complained after the reading class. We thought for a while it might be a way she thought she could get out of reading, but when she had to continue reading and still complained with headaches, we deduced that wasn't the case. She has glasses and wears them.

As he wrote in her file, he said what I wasn't sure was-it is or is not migraines. I asked him to repeat what he said and he says, "I think she's having migraines."
Ok, I said, in a shocked tone of voice.
He then says it's common in children.

I looked it up on the internet and it is. Stress, noise, foods, smells, all the normal things that cause migraines in adults, cause them in children.

I have to print out a calendar and track the number of headaches she has until we go back in October. Then we'll go from there. I'm going to try to get her to describe the pain. He said give her something for the pain, place a cool rag on her head and let her lie down in a quiet, darkened room until it eased. Same as for adults.

I just keep thinking that the older she gets, the more medical problems crop up. The child has a load to deal with as is, and I simply want to cry for her. She is usually such a little trooper and sometimes I wonder how fair is this; but then I have, and I mean I HAVE to tell myself that God is in control and God knows best, and He is Shandi's God the same as He is my God.

Thanks for listening to me cry about my baby. I know it could be far worse. She could have a disease that could kill her in 2 months; she could be deformed, she could be much worse off than she is. I am very grateful that she isn't all those things and that she is just the way she is in comparison to what could be. But I still hurt for her and I know there is a reason even for that. I know that through all of this God is showing me a lot of things, and He has a lot more to show me. I just need to trust in that process.

No comments: