Friday, July 10, 2009

Shandi and mother

Well, I think I wrote in here about my meeting with the superintendent of Education of our District. I wrote him a few days later restateing what I heard him say when he phoned me with 'his' plans for Shandi and himself. I've not heard from that letter.

I've also mentioned, I think, that before writing the newspaper and the Supt. of Ed., I had contacted the Protection and Advocacy Services for our state. They got a signed release form from Stacie, then sent some other form to her to sign indicating they had looked over her situation and had decided to take her case. I had sent some pertinent information when we returned the forms.

On July 9, (yesterday) Stacie received the following letter from Sue Cannimore, Senior Advocate/Education Team Co-Leader

Disability Rights Mississippi (which is a part of Protection and Advocacy Services)

It was a copy of an email Sue had written to the Director of SPED in Tylertown, Cherry Smith. (The same Cherry Smith I have met with at least 4 times, and pointed out to her Shandi's difficulties and my frustrations each time)The email was written on July 7, 2009.

It states:

Good morning, Cherry. I’m writing regarding Shandi Marie Rogers who attends Salem Elementary School in your District. Shandi has been in the Tier Process but has been removed due to the fact that she improved with the intervention provided. Because of the following information, I am requesting that you do not place Shandi back into the Tier Process, but begin to immediately evaluate her for special services.

Shandi’s second grade report card indicates A’s in reading, English and math, but it is noted that these were earned with “special assistance”. In addition, under Work Habits, it is noted that Shandi has an “S” in works independently, but on the first and third terms, it is indicated that those were earned “with one-on-one assistance”. Finally, under “special notices” it is indicated that Shandi is below grade level.

In addition, Dr. John Jolly in 2005, diagnosed Shandi with ADHD, Combined Type, ODD with conduct problems and aggressiveness, Adjustment Disorder, Unspecified, Social Skills Deficits and Mild Mental Retardation.

Dr. William Osborne in 2006 diagnosed her with ADHD, Combined Type, ODD, Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety and Depressed Mood, Bipolar Disorder and Social Skills deficits.

It seems quite apparent to me that this young child is in need of evaluation and that it should be done now, not a year or two down the road when lack of appropriate services has caused her to drop further and further behind and her mood becomes more and more depressed. If you are willing to do the evaluation, please let me know when it can be begun. If you are not willing to do it, please send justification for that.

I need your answer no later than 10/17/09. Thank you.


What comes of this is anybody's guess. But I sure feel validated that someone else sees the situation the same way I see it.

No comments: