Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jamie Crockett

Jamie Crockett was arrested Monday, July 13 on sexual assault charges, 3 counts. On July 6 he assaulted a woman in Hattiesburg, used a stun gun and handcuffs to subdue her before the rape.
On Sunday, July 5th, he attacked a woman in Baton Rouge in a similar attack, and a 3rd attack on a student of Southeastern La. University on Friday, July 10?

I closed at 5, ran in, took a shower and went by the mom of the boy arrested on rape charges. She is devastated, of course. I felt odd going by considering the circumstances, since I haven't seen her in several years. I didn't want her to think I was just being nosy. But she came out of the house and when she saw it was me, she just ran and grabbed me and cried and cried. I cried right along with her.
Jamie is a huge part of our life. He and Robby have been friends for probably 20 some odd years, and N and I have known each other that long too. The boys have been in trouble together, been in trouble separately, stayed at each other's home, and I feel that I know Jamie about as good as I know Robby. Jamie always called Terry, Papa Smurf.

My heart just cries for those girls he raped, and my heart breaks for N. Jamie is her only child and she knows she has lost him for good now. Her husband, J, had open heart surgery last month and goes in Tuesday for vein surgery on Wednesday. He has a lot of blockage in his arteries and they have to try and reroute them. With all this stress, it's going to be rough.

I spent about an hour there with them, and when I left I told them to not hesitate to call me. I'd come sit with her, let her talk, let her cry, whatever. If Terry was home, I'd do what I could to be there for her. As much as I know Jamie did these things because of the proof the law has, there is still a part of me that cannot fathom what caused him to do such a thing. Never, in all the years I have known him, has he ever shown any sign of violence and most especially violence of a sexual nature. He was always so sweet and kind to Stacie. I just have to believe that something broke in him. It's so confusing to me.

With Garry, Stacie's ex, I always knew he was perverted and weird, but I thought he was adult oriented, not child oriented. Garry always made sexual remarks or turned innocent phrases into sexual meaning. Jamie was never like that. He was always polite, respectful, almost shy in many ways. He was funny, and thoughtful. Like Robby, he had an addiction problem, and like Robby has spent a fair amount of time incarcerated. Possibly something changed within during those prison stays, but it still blows my mind. Maybe it's because I know him and never had any idea that he could harbor such cruelity, or maybe something inside him did break.

But it's done. I asked N was there a chance he wasn't the guy they were looking for, and she says no. She says when they arrested him a few days or a week before this, on possession of marijuana, that the law saw the stun gun and the handcuffs in his truck--so it was him.The possession arrest took place in a small town called Florence, Ala. He paid his bond and they released him.

No comments: