Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sneaky snakes

Terry has been cleaning up the caladiums, trimming the tops, removing the bulbs for drying and storage. Yesterday he pointed out a snake he had found in the bottom of a tray. It was a little pigmy/ground rattler from it's appearance. He had killed it and after showing it to me and describing how he had carried it out and it was under the last pot he picked up from the flat, he tossed it.

I then started to help him with this job. I carefully picked up the first pot of caladiums, called myself looking at it closely, reached down to the soil line to twist the tops of the plant off and out jumped another one of those little babies. I screamed, tossed the pot one way, the snake with the other and I went another.

Finally Terry found it and took it out of it's misery.

Wow, 2 snakes in less than an hour is a record, even around a nursery.

I've helped him some more today, but not without more carefully examining what I am touching, what is underneath the pot and even turning the pot upside down in a tray before working the bulb out of the soil.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: