Thursday, October 23, 2008

More on Shan

I'm not so concerned about the ADHD, as I know kids can either outgrow it, although what I read says they actually learn how to manage it......it's the IQ score of 59 that bothers me. If this is true; then I don't see her outgrowing that.
So she will always be lacking in academics. My goal is to find the right structure of help aids that will aid her in learning all she is capable of learning.

I am not going with the mindset of: ok, she's mildly retarded, lets dont' expect much.
Instead, my mindset is this: ok, so she isn't the brightest chip off the block--still, if I can find the right method of helping her learn, she will accomplish far more than any set of tests or statistics can predict. It's finding that aid, that help, that method of aiding her in learning that has me scratching my head at times and constantly pushing everyone.

1 comment:

Helena said...

Klara.....I'd really like you to read about this...

http://www.dore.co.uk/

I had David tested a couple of years ago, and really believe that this has a lot of value.. a large number of our Education Authorities re using the Dore programme as part of their 'special needs facilitating' and it struck me as something which might help shandi....a strange question, I know...but did she crawl? or did she go from sitting, to trying to walk right away?....the theory is that the communication links at the base of the brain are undeveloped in early walkers, (the 'crawling' co-ordination helps to develop these)the Dore programme uss phyisical exercises design for eah individual to reopen these links...with impressive results...sadly i think there is a funding problem in the US..but it might be worth looking into...