Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Just stuff

Robby and Paula came out yesterday for a visit. He looks good, yet he has that bouncy leg thing going. The bouncy leg thing always indicates that he's anxious to be involved in something. When he can't get involved in something that holds his interest, alcohol and drugs are next in line.

He wants to come help us with covering the greenhouses. We'll see how things go. I'm letting Terry make that decision.

Terry worked with the county today. I spent most of the day on the phone. I enjoyed the talking, but hate days when I don't accomplish anything. Ana went home with a friend this evening, so Shandi and I came home. While Shandi studied her questions for reading, I put on a pot of chilli and mixed up some brownie mix to have for making brownies to sell for the cheerleaders.

When supper was ready I told Shandi what we were having--frito pie. What's that, she wanted to know. It's fritos with chilli poured over it. Oh, I like chilli and fritos, she said. So I fixed her a bowl and when I put it in front of her, she says, "But momo, where's the pie?"

I heard from my brother today. Seems he's been having chest pains so he went to the doctor. He has COPD and needs to quit smoking. I have it too and need to quit smoking. God help us both. I've tried and haven't succeeded yet. Maybe the next time I make up my mind to quit will the right time.

I took the girls to Salem church tonight. They have an active GA group of girls. Another grandmother from our home church also took her granddaughter, so it was nice to have a home person at a non-home church with me. Salem should be as much home to me as Magee's Creek. I know almost every person there; but I don't go often so I feel odd. We were cordially welcomed and told to come anytime; which we will as long as the girls are involved in GA's.

The preacher doesn't drone on and on. He opens with a short prayer, gives a short devotion, then opens the floor for prayer requests. After these are mentioned, he starts the prayer, encourages any who wishes to, to pray, and asks a specific person to close the prayer time. Their prayer meeting starts at 6:30 and was over at 7, promptly. Such a far cry from ours. We start at 7, sing 2 hymns, have 30-45 minutes of prayer requests, signing cards to send, praying for the people individually; then the preacher asks for blessing reports, prays about 10 minutes, gives a 10-15 minute devotion and closes with another 10 minute prayer. It's anywhere from 10 past to 20 past 8 when we are done. Then it's gather up the girls, get them home, try to calm them down, give them a snack and get them to bed.

I really like Salem's method of doing it.

I caught a bit of the evening news today. The part I caught was some replay of the debate they had last night, I suppose. All I heard was Obama and McCain, Biden and Palin pointing the finger at each other. They all sounded like a bunch of children, yay-yaying at each other. Sarcasm was used on some of the constituents who asked questions. It's a joke, if you ask me. Every where I look during election years, candidates are running down each other.

I have a tendency to distrust any negative messages against a candidate, for I feel that any kind of dirt can be glamorized and blown out of porportion in order to make the initiator look good and his opponent look bad. Why can't politicians run on their own merit and not run each other down?

I suppose that's too much to ask.

No comments: