Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sick Shandi

Now we have it. The reason for Shandi's headaches last week. She wasn't just figuring out a way to come home. She wasn't being manipulative.

The child was developing a UTI.
Friday evening late she told mom that it hurt when she urinated. Saturday, she didn't act like she felt well, even too a nap. She didn't say anything to me about the pain when urinating until later in the evening.

This morning mom brought her in around 7 running a temp of over 101. I dressed and took her to the ER in McComb. The doc decided maybe a shot of Rocephen would help knock it out, so he ordered that. After he left, I explained to Shan what was going to happen, how it would feel, but stressed that it would help her get better quicker.

Later the nurse came in to administer the shot. The nurse walked in with the needle behind her back. She backed up to the table at the foot of the bed and proceeded to explain to Shan about the shot. I grabbed an opportunity to tell the nurse that I had already prepared Shan for the shot.

Shan rolled over, the nurse prepared the spot and talked her through it. She only whimpered when the needle went in. The nurse explained that she had put some numbing medicine in it so it wouldn't hurt like it normally does. I thought that was a very nice touch. Hmm, why don't they do that for us adults?

After the nurse put the bandaid on, Shan continued to lie on the bed. As the nurse told me the instructions, what to watch for, how to take the medicine the doc prescribed orally, Shan interrupted and asked us to tell her when it was through.

We all laughed and told her the shot was long through and she could get up.

We left, ran by McDonald's and got her some breakfast, picking mom up some too as it was time for her break. Then we went to WalMart and took break with Stacie, got Shan's med filled and came home. She piled up on the couch and went to sleep.

Around 4 she got up for a sandwich and after she ate I gave her the oral antibiotic. It's a combo of sulfa-something and some other drug, and apparently is a lethal dose. The child almost threw up trying to get it down.

Why of why didn't I ask if the med came in a mild pill form? But I didn't. Apparently, or better yet hopefully, she swallowed air trying to get the dose down because she stopped and laid her hand on her heart. She says, "momo, my heart hurts". That scared me until she burped and then said she felt a bit better.

After washing the med down she laid back down and went back to sleep, so I got ready for church. Terry stayed with her until Stacie came in.

I really pray that God will heal her quickly. She doesn't usually get this sick, and it worries me.

No comments: