Saturday, June 25, 2011

supper

Cream corn--we grow G-90 brand corn which is a sweet corn. We shuck, silk and wash it. Then we cream it. Somewhere on this hill I have a corn creamer but can't find it; so--I take a small knife and cut just the tip of the corn kernals. I do this with upward strokes since I can control the knife better that way. Then I take the knife and scrape down the cob, creaming the corn. Shandi used a hand held cheese grater, pushing the corn down the largerst grate area. CJ's daughter, Casey used my salad master cheese grater and that was the creamiest.

Then I blanch it by putting it in a large corning ware bowl and microwaving it 15-20 minutes. I do this is 10 minute increments stirring in between. Then I pour that cooking into a large shallow stainless steel pan so it will cook quickly and start the next batch.

For boiling I simply toss an ear here and there to the side--usually the ears I call scrappy, or those that aren't quite old enough to have lots of milk for creaming. I call scrappy ears those the kernals didn't develop evenly and fully around the cob...I toss this in a large container, cover with water and put it on the outside burner. I bring it to a boil, and boil about 10 minutes, then pour it up and cool it down for putting in bags to freeze. We put about 12 ears to the bag since that is about the amount of mouths we feed around here.

For supper last night we had.........
are you ready???????

Drum roll please..........

Fresh speckled butterbeans
Fresh cream corn
Fresh fried okra
Fresh squash pattys
Fresh tomato
Pork Chop and
Corn bread.

Oh the squash pattys/fritters are so good. You take squash and grate them along with an onion. Season with salt and pepper--I added a few pepper flakes. Add an egg or two, depending on how many squash you use, enough flour to bind it together and spoon into grease like you would salmon pattys. Fry until golden brown on each side--they were sooooooo good.

No comments: