Thursday, June 16, 2011

My lung condition

I now have medicine, Biaxin. It is making me so sick I can hardly hold my head up.
I will return when I feel better. I am waiting on a call back from the doctor who told me that if I can't take this one meds, then unless the sensitivity tests show up something else that will work, it's iv antibiotics and nebulizer antibiotics.

I cannot be desensitized to this med because that would allow the bacteria to build up a resistance.

I am in a mess.

He got so excited when I balked at taking the med...accused me of having a negative attitude, not wanting to try it, (he's not american so here is where he lost me as he was talking fast) he says, I think--if you don't take this the only other option is IV antibiotic and nebulizer treatment and you are self pay and that is out of the question unless we can find someone to help you. What he meant by someone I haven't a clue--by now I was crying--my brain immediately went to people who have fund raisers and I guess pride says I don't want to do that and besides I may not be that well thought of here to raise enough money to do that. So here is where I barked through my tears...then I will just die from this stuff because I cannot take emycins, they make me deathly ill; I don't know enough people who have enough money to help me do IV treatment and besides I wouldn't ask them if I did. At this point I am not sure if I understood him correctly because then he blathers out something that went totally over my head so I held up my hand and through my tears said--whoa, I don't have a clue what you just said, you must slow down. ( I actually was proud of myself for standing up to him) But anyway, he slowed down and repeated the IV story and said--Klara, if you refuse to at least give this med a try, then we cannot get you the help needed to pursue any other course of treatment. He said he was still awaiting the results of the sensitivity tests on my bacteria to see if anything else would work better. He said he would contact physicians in larger hospitals and ask them what to use in cases such as mine. He said we were a team, but I had to work with him and if the med made me sick then all I had to do was call him, he was only a phone call away, and he would take care of me. So at this point, still bawling my eyes out, I gave up, agreed to take the stuff.

I feel sure he thinks my 'this will make me sick attitude' is the issue, but only me and God knows that isn't the case. I talked to myself for the 60 miles from Hattiesburg to the drug store in Tylertown. I told myself maybe this one would be different, I could handle a little nausea if it meant getting well, maybe after a few days it would be better, blah, blah, blah. I came home, went to VBS, ate good, took my pill when I got home. By the time I went to bed it was backing up in my throat and my heart was pounding and my chest/lungs felt like they would explode. I think, ok, the stuff is working already???? or what? But I went to sleep, woke up every hour with a nasty taste in my mouth, nibbled crackers, drank water. Tuesday got up, ate breakfast, took my pill, came to work, worked about 30 minutes and it hit me........chest exploding, breathless, heart beating fast, just let me curl up sick feeling, so I sat down up here under a fan and rested for 2 hours. Then I got up and although I was weak, I watered, slowly, taking lots of breaks. All this time I am thinking, ok, my body will adjust and this will get better...but with the Tuesday night pill my night was worse and I woke up feeling like I had the flu or something--just out of it I was so sick feeling. Still I ate and took the 4th pill and ended up having to go home and rest in the recliner all day.

No comments: