Sunday, December 6, 2009

update on poinsettias

We ended up selling 28 poinsettias to the church with a possible 2-4 more forthcoming. We would have only sold 20 had the church bought them outright. It just dawned on me that Helen wanted 20, so she and other woman bought 16 asssuming that I would only sell 4 to make the 20 she wanted.

I carried 20 to church this morning and 8 yesterday evening. This morning I tucked about 8 of the ones I brought alternately between the 12 she had in front of the communion table on the floor. They looked nice, but she came behind and removed them. I was starting out to get some more and she walked in and spoke. I spoke back, as I walked away she could see what I did and said--well I..........but I kept walking and she hushed.When I came back in she had moved mine and placed them on the bannister down each side of the choir loft area. O well.

I talked with one of the other deacons this morning and told him that I would like a meeting with Helen, the other lady on the flower committee and at least some of the deacons, IF they thought it would be worth the effort. Right now I think I just want the opportunity to quietly speak my truth to her so that she knows treating me this way is unacceptable to me. Knowing her like I do, I won't do it without witnesses. We'll see on that but I think the thank you will be a great thing to do.

Also, this morning a friend of mine, the one who's husband left and is living in a shed called and wanted to know what time church started. She came in support of me. She had come by yesterday evening when I was so bummed out and it bothered her that I was so affected---usually I'm uplifting her. She's a real friend and I'm glad to have her in my life.

A church friend wrote this to me today concerning those who called and ordered poinsettias:

Know without being told that Helen has been told and will be told again and again so you don't have to worry about saying a think to her. Honey, the army that volunteered yesterday is strong! Nobody was drafted, they all volunteered. I have rarely seen so many people at our church so mad about one thing that has happened. Helen did more harm to herself than anybody else could ever do. Lyndora and Jerry both couldn't believe that she did that. I couldn't believe that she did that. If Michael had not been with me yesterday I guess I probably would have thrown a fit so thank God he was with me. This is funny - he told Pappy last night that the ugliest thing I said to Hilton was that was a very unChristian thing to do. I think James thought that I acted ugly but I didn't. I didn't say anything I said to him in an ugly way. It was WHAT I said and not HOW I said it. We are going to have a WONDERFUL Christmas dinner today and the sanctuary will be beautiful thanks to you and Terry.
I intend to thank the church publically with these words:

I would like to thank everyone who has supported Terry and I during these times of economical uncertainty. Our heartfelt gratitude goes out to those who put aside politics, competition, rivalry and personal gain and followed the example of Christ who considered the welfare of every member of His flock. By your decision to support one of your own you shunned selfishness and avoided choices that would give personal gain yet hurt others in the process.
It is these choices that add to the love we have for you and affirm in our hearts that we are indeed a church family. Our hearts are truly warmed by your support and we are truly blessed.

No comments: