Friday, September 4, 2009

The Battle has been Won

I've had an extremely satisfying day. First the ruling on Shandi. I called to see if the test results were in on her testing. They were and we able to go on down and speak with the SPED Case Manager. She actually scored higher in reading and English on this test, using Peabody’s testing than she had on the Wechslet Intelligence Test; however she scored lower in math problem solving. But she qualified for special services in school; qualifying in her math, but will receive help in her reading also.
We were given two choices. Leave her at Salem where there is 1 inclusion teacher who is working with children in 3 classes; or bus her to Tylertown where there is an inclusion class with a special teacher who is there 3 days a week along with a regular teacher and an aide. They also have a reading program which is computer based which helps children like Shandi.
We chose to leave her at Salem for now and see how things go. Julie, the Case Manager said that at any time we felt it would be in Shandi’s best interest to transfer her, we can revisit the IEP which we will meet and write next Wednesday.

Then we went up to Stacie's to clean her house. The first thing when I walked on her porch, a guinea wasp stung me on the ankle. We looked but couldn't find it. Then one got Connie when she walked up. Connie had offered to come clean it, but Stacie wanted me there too. We had the Shandi's room clean and was working in the living room when Connie got there. We got that cleaned and Stacie's room, while Connie did the bathroom and kitchen, and helped us some in the living room. She swept and mopped behind us. While working in Stacie’s room, I was crawling up under the head of Stacie's waterbed to snake a cord down thru the bed and out the other side to plug in the waterbed (the house has few plug outlets) I whacked my elbow on the corner of the bed and just about messed in my pants. Finally it quit hurting enough I could move it. Then I had to make the turn into the center of the bed and crawl half way in it to get the cord far enough for Stacie to reach. After she left, Stacie and I tackled the play room while Ana tackled her room. Other than a pile of clothes to wash and fold, her house is clean and I mean really clean.
She's complained for years about not knowing how to organize, getting started on one thing and seeing something else and starting that. Add to that, she'll get discouraged and stop and get on the computer. Well, we didn't let her stop today and that house is the cleanest I've ever seen it.

When Terry came up to see the results of our labor, he found our wasp nest and took care of it. It was under the porch and I wasn’t looking from the right angle to see it.


I so wish we had taken some before pictures, but we didn't. But imagine clothes, empty and half empty drink bottles strewn about, rubbermaid totes here and there, stuff overflowing out of them, clothes baskets here and there with clothes in them and just general trash and stuff from younguns not cleaning up behind themselves and you have an idea of what shape it was in.

She told me this evening she actually felt like it was becoming home to her. She has every intention of keeping it that way, but knowing her, it will still get in a mess from time to time. But I do know she had intentions of keeping it clean and teaching the girls to clean it.

Then about the time I was going to get online it began thundering, then the lights went out, so I organized Shandi's folder on our steps to get her help.

I think I'm tired.

No comments: