Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Friends and snakes

I'm sitting down taking a break and heard a car drive up. I watch to see if the 'customer' will walk in and tell me what she wants or if she's one of those who just starts looking around.

I see a lady start walking toward the front door and as she enters where I can see well, I recognize her. It's a dear friend whom I've not heard from in about 10 years. I'd try to call her, she wouldn't be home or wouldn't answer the phone. She has lots of mental issues-depression, anxiety, etc, so I figure she's off in one of her 'places'. Al-anon taught me to not take these things personal.

Anyway......I jumped up and met her half way. We hugged, sat down and began catching up. Hours passed, with the only breaks being me getting up to wait on customers. Finally I say to her--hon, come on and follow me; I have to pee. So down through the greenhouse, out the door and toward the bathroom we go.

Now--when we built that bathroom, we built it big enough for storage too. I've told ya'll about the shelves and the old freezer in there so you know kinda how it is.

Well, I get to the door and do my normal checking it out before I step in and
Yep......I stepped back and said......Ahh, Jen, I don't think we want to use this potty. We'll go to the house. Lying across my toilet, my toilet mind you is a chicken snake. Well, he/she can have that toilet.

About that time my eyes turned to the freezer and yep......there lay another one on it curled here and there among the pots setting on top of the freezer. Shit. Not 1 but 2 snakes.

After we had gone to the house and peed, I came back to the nursery, got my camera and took off back there again. I got a shot of the one on the freezer, but the one on the toilet had already gone. Jen said he was crawling off as we turned to go to the house.

Then, this afternoon around 5, a guy I went to school with came over to buy some plants. I had not seen him since we finished high school. He's a year or two younger than me, in bad health and has to weigh over 300 pounds. The passenger door was open while his friend bought his flowers for him; so I sat on the floor of the truck and we talked like there had never been 30 some odd years since we'd last seen each other. That just blew my mind because most of the people I run into from high school days are distant, we don't have anything to talk about and it's uncomfortable. Not so with Ottis.

And.......We finished up a whole section of the roof this evening; part of the worst section too.

And......Robby has a few days off work and is coming Saturday to help Terry work on the roof, IF nothing happens between now and then.

And....Stacie has been such help this week, coming in and helping pull some supper together while I helped Terry on the roof; plus the main store manager at WM told her today that she needed to start putting in for different departments in order to learn the departments so she could move on up. He told her he wanted to help her advance.

And.....for some reason I haven't slept worth a toot all week. I think I'm hyper from lack of proper rest.

No comments: