Saturday, November 15, 2008

Voice recognition programs and perspective

A few days ago, a member asked about a free speech program for their computer. The owner of the group posted in part this:

*Command and control your Window's computer through your voice. Operate
> your computer using a minimum of keystrokes or mouse clicks. If you
> want to move the cursor down one line, simply say: Down One. Want to
> check your emails? Simply say: Open Email. Add commands to open and
> control any Window's document or program.*

I replied: *First let me say that I seriously appreciate that some people need a
speech recognition program. I'm extremely grateful that these programs
exist for those who need them.

But, forgive me for putting a bit of humor in on this topic. I sincerely
pray that I never have need of one of these programs. With my experience
with voice automated answering systems, I can imagine the frustration I
would encounter with a speech program on my computer.

I'd say--Find File
The program would say...Did you say Fix file?
I'd repeat...Find File
The program would say...was that flat file?
Becoming more frustrated I'd yell...NO, I said Find file you idiot.
The program would say...I'm sorry, I did not understand your response.

Let's start all over again. What was it you wanted to do?

By this time I would use my black elf powers to disintegrate the computer
to a pile of ashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand--the plus side of this---if it worked properly, it would
go a long way to aleviate corpal tunnel syndrome from manipulating a mouse
and typing for such long hours.

And again I say--I am really glad they are available for those who have
need of them, and maybe they work better than the answering systems we
have here in the USA.*

Another poster replied to that:* I have another scenario. You'd say find file and the program would say, find the file your elfin self*

Another poster replied *lmaopimp, and I replied that my response to that wasn't fit for the board.*

The original poster who asked for the program posted this:
*yea kinda nice when your not the one with a disability do you know what it is
like to be able to be given the most complex math problem out there and be able
to solve it and with then a few hours later you can't even do simple math. do
you know what it means when you used to be the top of the spelling contests and
now you can't spell simple words sorry I asked a question to a lit I thought was
friendly I guess I am wrong and need to find a list that is firmly to people
with disabilities rather you meant it or not it was a stab in the heart to a
person with a debility*

Sounds to me as though this person is bitter over his disability, because I obviously stated that I was very glad those programs existed for those who needed them, and I was simply showing the humor in my experience with said programs.

Sheesh!!!!

No comments: