Sunday, November 9, 2008

Post Election Day

On Wednesday following our presidential election:



A little black boy walked up to the teacher in Ana's class and said: I guess you voted for McCain because you're white and so is he.

The teacher said, according to Ana--Yes, I voted McCain, but not because of my color, but because of what I believe.



In the class of a friend's granddaughter, a little black girl got up in Savannah's face and said: "We got us a black president now. You can't mess with us."



The grandmother said Savannah asked her mom what the devil was the girl talking about. Savannah is only 8 and not the least bit interested in who's president and who's not. :)



It was kinda funny, but on the way to church last night, Elizabeth, the 8 year old neighbor told us that she asked her mom if she could still be friends with a girl if the girl's mom voted for Obama. I was curious as to what Elizabeth's mom said, so I asked. Elizabeth said that mom said it was ok to still be friends with the little girl. Whew!



A couple of older boys at school checked out early yesterday because some blacks told them they were going to have guns brought to school at lunch and they were going to shoot them. Whether that was due to the election, I don't have a clue. Ana's friend was telling me about it this evening, and she knew because one of the boys is her cousin.



Ana didn't mention anything more today that affected her personally, and I'm very glad. I hope it was just a couple of isolated incidents. It gave me a good opportunity to talk with Ana about 'live and let live'.



Hopefully, these were incidents due to emotions running high, kids overhearing their parents talk, and it will die down soon.

No comments: