Monday, June 11, 2012

VBS 1

I've been extremely busy and will be all this week and am planning a quick get away to the coast if possible following VBS (vacation bible school) this week. Not sure I can squeeze it in, but plan to try.

Yesterday was a whirlwind.
Up, breakfast, off to church where I taught my mid-adult class, did the preaching service...where the vbs workers were commissioned--ie: stood before the congregation and a prayer made.

Then it was our time to do the ministry at one of the 2 nursing homes. We loaded in the van, myself and 8 others, went to the local Pizza Inn for lunch, ate and visited, then on to Golden Living for our short service. Back to church, where I didn't even go home, but instead finished up the preparation of the craft area, decided for sure which craft I would do as the first night is always the most hectic. Then I sat at the registration table with Sandy and we registered the children and made their name tags as they came in. Joy, I thought of you, felt like I was 'living' your job briefly. Registration can be wild and hectic.

Our VBS Director is a pistol and we had to butt heads with her a few times. She thinks everything should be micro managed and everyone should do exactly as she predicts...workers and mothers of children coming. That ain't happening. Sandy and I took care of business in spite of her grumbling and anger and while she sat and fed her face we worked. Ugh. Anyway...on to what we did. After all children and teachers were fed and left for opening assembly, Sandy and I ate, I got ready for the first craft group.

We were making a gravity defying airplane...our these is Amazing Wonders Aviation...and the darn craft putty was old...I just bought it, but it wouldn't work to hold the pencil in place. We switched over to another means of holding the pencil upright..gluing it into a styrofoam cup...cup upside down, hole in middle of bottom and glue to hold the pencil steady. The kids liked the cup better. First glitch met and over come.

After the 3 different groups came and crafted, that brought us up to 8...we cleaned up our area, pulled out the craft for tonight and sat down for a few moments to rest before gathering up kiddos and heading home.

Ana is old enough to be a helper this year. She and a girl named Sara, the granddaughter of a member, are helping our go to fill in preacher, Tommy. He's a divorced man, my age and an awesome preacher and great with kids. They had a ball.

Stacie came and brought Shandi, but didn't even stay to eat. Something crawled up her ass after about 30 minutes and she huffed up and left. Oh well, so be it.


I want to work in the yard some, since I won't have to water.
 I pulled and removed a mountain of poison ivy Saturday and I feel swelled and am having breathing issues in spite of treatments. I'm wondering if the poison ivy has anything to do with that. I covered up with a long sleeve shirt, gloves, socks, etc, worked till it was removed, went inside, stripped down and jumped in the showered immediately to wash away any juice I may have gotten on my face. I am praying I don't suddenly break out with poison ivy bumps.

I may end up sitting on my bum and doing nothing.


--
Character is what we are, not what others think we are.

No comments: